Seven Vacation Destinations Where Your Dollar Goes Further: Traveling is supposed to be relaxing, but if you’re hemorrhaging money the entire time, it can be hard to chill out and enjoy your time off. That $30 cocktail won’t taste as sweet if you know you’ll have to take out a second mortgage the moment you get home.
The solution? Vacation somewhere that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Here are eight places to travel where you can enjoy fun with the family and fly out with your fanny pack still overflowing with Franklins.
1. Barbados:The exchange rate in Barbados is heavily favorable to foreigners; one dollar here gets you two there. And the tropical paradise is an underrated destination for Caribbean travelers; its beautiful beaches, delicious rum cocktails, and spicy cuisine will have you feeling like a kingpin.
2. Seoul, South Korea: The capital of South Korea is a geek’s dream, home to the headquarters of numerous international tech firms. And it looks the part, with a glittering, futuristic skyline and bustling streets. But prices on food and beverage there are shockingly low, and traveling to the city is cheaper than many other places in Asia.
3. Uruguay: Uruguay is out of the way for many seeking a South American getaway, but it shouldn’t be. The country’s clear water and lush vegetation are comparable with Brazil and Argentina, but transportation and lodging are a great deal cheaper. And with fewer tourists, there are less tourist-focused businesses – meaning you’ll pay what the locals pay.
4. Albuquerque, New Mexico: Yes, it’s blistering hot in this Southwestern city but if you can stand the temperature, you’ll find a beautiful community with tons of opportunities for indoor recreation. It’s a great place to head to for a winter break if you live in colder climates, but in the summer, hotel prices hit the floor. Just drink a lot of water.
5. Bulgaria: Every American ought to visit Europe at some point, but the price just to exist as a human being for a few days in London or Paris is outrageous. Bulgaria has beautiful beaches, enormous, intricately designed churches, and rustic old towns straight out of a vampire movie, and the price tag is half that of other destinations on the continent.
6. New Orleans, Louisiana: The South’s crown jewel and Louisiana’s biggest city is a vacation destination, for sure. If you don’t want to spend a lot, you’ll find it’s one of the best places for free fun. Many bars offer live music 365 nights a year with no cover, and since there are no open container laws, you can buy your booze in a grocery store and carry it with you in the street instead of buying pricey drinks at the bar.
7. Shanghai, China: Shanghai is a great city to explore on foot, with winding, bustling streets, and beautiful architecture. And it’s one of China’s cheapest places to stay, with tons of options for bargain accommodations, and an overwhelming number of options for delicious, inexpensive street food.
Don’t blow all your hard-earned cash on vacation and return to an empty bank account! Visit one of the destinations above, and you can enjoy new experiences and cultures without going broke along the way.