Did you know these facts about Sonic Drive-In? We break down the basics, the history, and some of the more bizarre facts about this American drive-in fast food restaurant chain. Let’s go.
- Founded on June 18th, 1953 in Shawnee, Okalahoma
- In 2017, there were over 3,500 restaurants in more than 45 states.
- Since they’re known for carhops and skates, the company annually hosts a competition to determine the top skating carhop in its system.
- The founder, Troy N. Smith Sr., was originally employed as a milkman before deciding to deliver bread, because bread was lighter. (LOL! A man after our own hearts).
Smith eventually teamed up with a partner and they opened a fast food chain called Top Hat. They later learned the Top Hat was trademarked and so they changed the name to Sonic.
- Sonic ran their first television advertisement in 1977.
- Sonic has always had memorable TV commercials. One of the most memorable ad ran from 1987 to 1993 and featured Frankie Avalon (actor, singer, and former teen idol). Click here to watch.
Sonic started as just a root beer stand!
- Cherry Limeade is one of their most popular selling items.
- Some of the most popular flavor combos are submitted by employees.
- One of the cooler Sonic’s out there exists in Miami, Florida is situated right in the sand.
- For the most part, they’ll let you order discontinued items.
They just released a new Sonic Cone Slush flavor: PICKLE JUICE
Interested in the run down of Sonic Drive-In slogans over the years? Here’s the breakdown. How many do you remember?!
1958: “Service With the Speed of Sound”
1980s: “Happy Eating”
1987: “America’s Drive-In”
1988-90: “Faster And Better than Ever”
1990-94: “No Place Hops like Sonic”
1993: “Summer’s Funner”
1995-97: “Drive-In For A Change”
2003: “It’s Sonic Good”
2007: “Sonic’s Got It, Others Don’t”
2009: “Even Sweeter After Dark”
2011-Present: “This is How You Sonic”
2016: “Sonic Everywhere”
2016: “You Guys Wanna Hang Out Sometime”
You May Also Like: